Wednesday, October 29, 2008

getting the look for way less....




so during these times, we have to be smart on what we are spending our money on. and it's no news to me, that design might be taking a back seat. but i thought i could share w/ y'all some ways i try and beat the system....

thanks to my site meter (a site that lets me track where my readers are coming from), i was able to find my dream desk (well, part of it)!! i am so excited to show y'all my vintage chrome sawhorse legs...as i am sure y'all know, i have been longing for this desk forever. one day, i saw i was getting hits from craig's list and to my dismay these beauties were in the ad...but they were located in atlanta. so thankfully, my super sweet mother met up w/ the nice guy and the exchange happened making me the proud owner of my dream desk. i am now scouting out the local habitats for a glass top....but for $150, my desk is a lot easier to swallow than the 1st dibs price tag that i couldn't even begin to touch.

alternative ways to great design is definitely not a new concept but i think its fun to retouch on ways to be creative. in case y'all don't know or are just tuning in- i am a fanatic thrift store shopper/ habitat scourer/ yard sale junkie (as well as fellow bloggers like eddie and my design hero ruthie sommers). if you cringe going into these kinds of stores, this method is not for you...but if you are willing to get dirty, be patient, and look past really ugly fabric- you will be shocked at what you find. especially if you are a name dropper...hickory chair, baker, taylor king, dwell studio, circa lighting are just a few i have found in the past month. the only problem is, if you want it, you better buy it then. i am still sad about a camel back love seat i left last week...it had great lines and chippendale legs. i immediately envisioned the cover of the first domino (i adored that sofa). when i went back two days later to try and get it (thinking if it's there, it's meant to be), well it wasn't....

so don't get discourage when money is tight....you can get the "look"- whether's its craig's list, ebay, or thrift stores...it's out there- you just have to be willing to find it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © Wallpaper To Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger